How Undenatured Whey Protein Benefits Your Health


It’s no secret that here in the U.S. we have a serious health crisis, most of which we can attribute to what we consume. You are what you eat, after all. Did you know that our bodies need 90 different nutrients on a daily basis? You just can’t get that level of nutrition on the average American diet. In fact, I’d venture to say that you’d still be lacking a number of important nutrients on a plant-based, whole foods diet. But that’s another post for another day.

Because today’s over-farmed, pesticide-ridden foods lack the essential nutrients they contained before we began spraying them with toxic chemicals, it’s important to supplement your diet with those nutrients, using whole-food, non-synthetic sources. One of the supplements I use is Maximized Living Perfect Protein. It’s a protein powder that’s made using undenatured whey protein from grass-fed cows raised on pesticide-free land.

What is whey protein?

There are 2 types of milk protein: casein and whey. Casein represents about 80 percent of milk protein, with whey representing the other 20 percent. Whey is superior to all other types of protein in producing lean muscle mass in athletes and in hospital studies.

What is undenatured whey protein?

Not all whey protein is created equal. Most cattle in the U.S. are poorly fed on corn, soybeans, barley, fat and cheap hay. They rarely go more than 4 months without infection and must continually be dosed with antibiotics. Moreover, because of their diet, their milk production is poor and must be aided with hormones. Most of our cows last an average of 4 years before acidic food leads to liver problems and other health issues that render them purposeless and they are turned into beef. I’m sure that the whey protein extracted from these animals is not great for you…

If a whey protein is undenatured, that means it’s processed at lower temperatures so as to retain the biologically active enzymes and antibodies, which have multiple health benefits for humans. Undenatured whey protein also contains di-peptides (amino acid pairs) and tri-peptides (amino acid triples) which are “keys” that fit into specific genetic “locks” in the body to turn on protein function. When whey protein is denatured, these peptides are broken down into single amino acids and no longer work. These “keys” are essential to reaping the maximum amount of undenatured whey protein benefits.

Whey protein concentrate vs. whey protein isolate?

Whey protein concentrate has anywhere from 29 percent to 89 percent whey protein. If it’s 29 to 49 percent, then usually the other 50 to 70 percent is likely mostly fat and lactose. If it’s 70 to 89 percent whey protein, then only about 10 to 15 percent of it is fat and lactose. You definitely want your whey protein concentrate to be on the higher end of the scale.

There’s also whey protein isolate which is about 90 to 95 percent whey protein. However, it costs a lot more than high-end whey protein concentrate, and both are rapidly absorbed proteins. Whey protein isolate and high-end whey protein concentrate produce identical results when it comes to increasing muscle and reducing fat. That’s because after most of the fat and lactose is removed (as is the case in both high-end concentrate and isolate), the structure of the proteins is more important than those last few percentage points. Basically, if it comes down to paying more for whey protein isolate or paying less for high-end whey protein concentrate (70 to 89 percent whey protein), you’re better off saving your money.  Maximized Living Perfect Protein contains whey protein concentrate.

So, what are some undenatured whey protein benefits?

In addition to building lean muscle, undenatured whey protein has been found to be the best way to increase glutathione levels and function. Glutathione is a naturally-occuring protein that protects cells, tissues and organs from aging, disease and cancer. Many people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have a glutathione deficiency, which undenatured whey protein may address.

Research shows other undenatured whey protein benefits. In addition to boosting lean muscle mass, it also:

  • Helps the body heal and repair injured tissue
  • Boosts your immune system to help fight infection
  • May have anti-aging benefits
  • May help to increase seratonin activity, promoting restful sleep
  • May help to decrease stress
  • May help to improve mood and memory loss under stress
  • May increase your metabolism and help satisfy your appetite

About Author

1 Comment

  1. I really like your blog and want to if you can help me do the same thing or have someone who you recommend to help me set up a blog like this. Thanks

Leave A Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.